Sunday, November 10, 2013

Patterns are for losers.

I'm almost done with a sweater made from yarn that I spun and dyed myself.

The yarn color at the top left totally matches the rest of the sweater and the sleeves totally match the body, right? Whoops.
 Here's where I'm at now. I haven't used a pattern with the exception of the raglan sleeve holes--I just yanked the basic formula from a pattern on ravelry and tweaked it to fit my measurements. I don't like using patterns much these days. Too much reading, too much time wasted trying to figure out what the author means when I could just figure it out on my own.
 The fiber is Corriedale. Basic sheep hairs, really. Not the softest stuff but it's easy to spin. Two pounds of it came with my wheel, which is plenty for a sweater for me. Actually, I figure I've only used one pound so far, and I have a whole pound left to spin. The yarn is dyed with kool-aid. I'll post about hand dyeing yarn or fiber with kool-aid/food coloring the next time I do it.
Finished yarn--it's not hard to knit with at all. Some sections are thinner weight than others, which is bound to happen with hand spun yarn made by someone who's only been spinning on a wheel since August/September. I'd say I've had quite a bit of success. I also have a friend (you can find her blog here!) whose cousin owns an alpaca farm, which means I'll be able to purchase alpaca fiber to spin in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment